The Archdiocesan Museum exhibits historical documents, photographs, and various patrimony from the extensive collections of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe. Free Admission
Address: 223 Cathedral Place, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501 MAP
Open: Mon - Fri: 9am - 12pm, 1pm - 4pm. Closed for lunch 12-1. Closed weekends and major Holidays.
Museum Free Admission. Appointments needed well in advance for archive resesarch.
On July 19, 1850, Pope Pius IX created the Vicariate Apostolic of New Mexico and appointed Father Jean Baptiste Lamy as its first Bishop.
At present the Archdiocese of Santa Fe covers an area of 61,142 square miles. There are 93 parish seats and 226 active missions throughout this area. The liturgical center and "cathedra" or chair of the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe to this day remain in Santa Fe.
The museum officially opened May 21, 1994. Exhibits include particular items no longer utilized by the churches for worship that have been preserved for display. The historic adobe building dates to ca. 1832 and is located along Cathedral Place, nearby the St. Francis Basilica, adjacent to the historical area known as the Archbishop Lamy garden.
General admission is free. See hours of operation above.
*Appointments are required and recommended well in advance for archival, historical, and family research.